[Exi-bay-announce] Vinge, Evolution and a Darwin Day Film

Fred C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Fri Jan 26 04:57:59 UTC 2007

Vernor Vinge will be giving a lecture Thursday Feb 15 in San Francisco.
His lecture is part of the Long Now lecture series.  I have been to
several of these and they are interesting.  Many of their lectures are
available as Vorbis or MP3 downloads.  According to the web page a few
are available as video.  For more info see:
http://www.longnow.org/projects/seminars/

I have attended some of their previous lectures and found them very
useful.  A small hint: if you plan to attend in person and it is a
popular speaker then get there early in order to get a seat.  When I
attended the lecture by Sam Harris last year it was literally standing
room only.  I was very lucky to get a seat.

There will be a day long discussion of Evolution on Saturday Feb 10
at Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley (see URL for reg info)
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/museum/events/shortcourse2007/index
and on Sunday Feb 11 at the same location will be a showing of the film
A Flock of Dodos: The Evolution - Intelligent Design Debate.
http://www.flockofdodos.com/
with Dr. Eugenie Scott of National Center for Science Education leading
a discussion following the showing.  This film showing and discussion
will be part of the Darwin Day events:
http://www.darwinday.org/englishL/home/2007.php

Fred