[Exi-bay-announce] Cafe Scientifique at SRI: Schneider: The Science of Global Warming

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sat Feb 9 05:59:01 UTC 2008

If I were there, I wouldn't miss this one... -Amara

                           --0--
Cafe Scientifique at SRI
Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6 - 7:30 p.m.

Steve Schneider, PhD
Professor, Department of Biological Sciences
Stanford University

will discuss:

The Science of Global Warming, the Nobel Peace Prize and Prospects for
Needed Policy Changes

SRI Menlo Park
Middlefield Road at Ringwood - Dining Room in the International Building
Map and directions at http://www.cafescipa.org/sridirections.html.

Do not park at SRI's main entrance at 333 Ravenswood Ave.  Entrances to
Conference Center parking are next to the church on Ravenswood and at
Ringwood and Middlefield.

                           -------0000-------

Professor Schneider has studied global warming for over 35 years,
beginning with his work as a postdoctoral fellow at NASA's Goddard
Institute for Space Studies (1971) and the National Center for Atmospheric
Research (1972).  In 1992, he was awarded a MacArthur Fellowship for his
work in global climate research.  He is a leading publisher and renowned
thought leader on global warming and related ecological, economic and
public policy issues.  He also has a strong, tireless commitment to
public education.

He has been actively involved with the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change), an initiative of the United Nations Environment Program
and the World Meteorological Organization, since its origin in 1988.
The IPCC has produced four assessment reports and Professor Schneider has
been a key contributor in each.  He was a Core Writer on the 2007 IPCC
Fourth Assessment Report which is being used by governments world-wide
as the most up-to-date, credible document regarding climate change
science, impacts, adaptation, vulnerability, and mitigation until 2012.
On December 10, 2007, the IPCC and Albert Gore were awarded the Nobel
Peace Prize "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater
knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for
the measures that are needed to counteract such change."

Professor Schneider received his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering and
Plasma Physics from Columbia University in 1971.  He is Co-Director of
the Stanford Center for Environmental Science and Policy (CESP) and
Co-Director of the Stanford Interdisciplinary Program in Environment
and Resources (IPER).

Cafe Scientifique events are open to all free of charge.  No reservations
are necessary.  For more information please visit our web site:
http://www.cafescisv.org/ . Check the web for information about future
and past events, including photos.  Feel free to forward this announcement
to interested friends and colleagues. Sign up on the web site to receive
announcements.

Sponsored by ROXRO PHARMA and SRI, Cafe Scientifique is a place where
anyone can come to explore the latest ideas in science and technology and
debate science issues outside a traditional academic context.  We meet
monthly to discuss a variety of science topics.

Coffee, tea and biscotti will be complimentary, provided by SRI - Bring
your own mug if you wish to avoid using disposable cups.

Courtesy of Kepler's there will be a drawing for a $30 gift card for books
or merchandise at Kepler's on El Camino Real in Menlo Park. Those who
choose to enter the drawing will have their names added to the Kepler's
mailing list. Special thanks to Kepler's for supporting Cafe Sci.

Amara Graps, Ph.D.             |
Department of Space Studies    |  amara at boulder.swri.edu
Southwest Research Institute   |  tel: +1 (720) 240-0128
1050 Walnut St., Suite 300     |  fax: +1 (303) 546-9687
Boulder, Colorado 80302 USA    |  www.amara.com