[Exi-bay-chat] When to fight

Kennita Watson kennita at kennita.com
Sun Feb 1 20:35:27 UTC 2004

This is keeping me awake.

When is it time to fight? When is it time to raise an army? When is it
a matter of National Security?

I hear doctrinaire libertarians say that the United States ought never
use its army except to protect the national security; some even say
that the very shores of the United States must be at risk. But what
constitutes a matter of national security? Killing off or subjugating
our trading partners might apply.

Some dismiss the questions, saying "anyone who wants to help is welcome
to pick up a gun and go do so". But for an individual to do such a
thing is not helping, it is suicide. As it happens, this is also an
argument for the broadest possible interpretation of the Second
Amendment, because an individual, or group of individuals, ought to be
able to buy a tank or a grenade launcher or a machine gun to go help
with.

Congress has the power to declare war. Since we have a representative
government (supposedly), ought not then the people have the power to
declare war - at least as long as we have a volunteer army, and with
the proviso that the funds for any particular campaign ought to be
voluntarily collected? I say all this from the standpoint of attempting
to justify a libertarian intervention in World War 2, a war in which I
think most Americans believed it was appropriate for us to be involved.
Civil war is one thing; wholesale slaughter of the defenseless is quite
another. Defending ourselves is always appropriate; when might it also
be appropriate to defend those unable to defend themselves?

Arguably, the only thing totalitarian regimes are good at is force -
using armies and police forces to bully, terrorize, and destroy their
enemies and dissenters. (You may keep your comment aboutt the extent to
which the United States fits this description to yourself.) If this is
the case, had Hitler managed to take over the entire European
continent, we would be minus not only many people, but many thriving
economies. So, if we had allowed that to happen, and to the extent that
we allow similar things to happen today, while we may still have a
large slice of the pie, it would be a smaller pie.

Comments?

Live long and prosper,
Kennita
--
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
none but ourselves can free our minds.