[Exi-bay-chat] Hacking as an extropian activity

Mark Galeck mark_galeck at pacbell.net
Mon Jul 5 22:17:25 UTC 2004

Hello,
We have a hacking job opening at SBS Technologies, and there are candidates
aplenty but not qualified.  I am taking the liberty of posting it to exi-bay
and Alcor North lists because I think hacking can be thought of as extropian
activity, and many Alcor members are programmers.  Please accept my
apologies and tell me what parts of my body will get pulled out, in case you
think I am stretching it.

So ...
1.  The job is in Newark, a short reverse commute from South Bay.
2.  You need to have MS in a technical discipline.
3.  The pay is on par with average in the industry and the region
4.  You need to be fluent in C and programming in general - since there is a
general inflation of superlatives in this area, let me attempt to make this
precise:
If I asked you on the interview, to design a linked list with an abstract
data type and a function that inverts one, you could pretty much do it
immediately without thinking and it would be efficient and work right away.
Same if I ask you to show example of a race condition and how to get around
it.  Same if I ask you to design a function that allocates memory, aligned
on a power-of-two boundary, without memory leak.
5.  This is a nice company.  What I mean is, every company has dumb suits
and certain amount of general stupidity, and this one does too, but less
than average.  And there is absence of managerial or peer pressure to work
overtime. Time is very flexible.  On the other hand, if you like to surf web
at work, don't bother.

If you think you can handle this, contact me directly at company e-mail
mgalecki at sbs.com

Hurry we're wrapping this up soon.

Mark Galecki