[Exi-bay-chat] Re: New to Bay Area

Jones, Spike spike.jones at lmco.com
Tue May 18 18:24:55 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: exi-bay-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:exi-bay-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org]On Behalf Of Harvey
Newstrom
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 1:19 PM
To: ExI regional: SF bay area, US
Subject: [Exi-bay-chat] Re: New to Bay Area

Jones, Spike writes:

>> We are having a little post-nanoschmooze schmooze
>> at my place tonight, Monday, 17 May...

>I wish I were there!

We do too pal, it was a total hoot.  {8^D

>> We plan to fire up the grill around 6 this evening
>> but you can come earlier if you want, even right now,
>> hang around and talk.
>
>> ...I expect the party to linger on until perhaps 2300 tonight.

>Sometimes I think Spike accomplishes more networking, communications, and
>planning than the big official events!

Actuality: the party didn't break up until 0045.  Then
we had to get up at the crack of dawn to drive Robert to
the airport in SF.  {8^D

> I didn't get any beer because last time one of the
> guys brought about 700 bottles of the stuff and
> the extropians turned out to be scandalously light
> drinkers.  {8^D  So if you want that, bring it.

>Horrors!  These can't be the same Extropians from Extro-5, then!  At least I
>think everybody was drinking heavily.  Maybe it was just me.  Maybe I
>hallucinated them all.  (I did think that pink elephant costume looked
>pretty realistic....) Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC

Harvey, it wasn't that you were drinking any more than
anyone else.  Its just that the same amount of alcohol
found in you so much less body mass to intoxicate.  Perfectly
good alcohol molecules were left idly standing by searching
for sober cells to intoxify.

My reasoning is that alcohol does not actually affect bone
matter (these being the more serious and somber cells, except
those in the funny bone) so the critical number is not so much
body *mass* as it is the nonbone mass.  In my case and yours
Harvey, that nonbone mass is small indeed, consequently a relatively
small amount of alcohol results in a great deal of delightful
silliness, thus saving money.

I followed that line of reasoning and learned to generate
delightful silliness with no alcohol at all, saving still
more money.  Also, I fear that devouring excessive amounts
of alcohol could have a detrimental effect on my brain, which
is undesireable, this being my second favorite organ.

spike