[Exi-bay-chat] A Bay Area transhumanist get-together at 5PM, Sunday March 6th?

Kennita Watson kennita at kennita.com
Mon Mar 7 23:53:45 UTC 2005

On Monday, Mar 7, 2005, at 10:07 US/Pacific, Jones, Spike wrote:

> Glombfest (noun)  - devourathon, eatmeet, chomp session, etc.
>
> ... This worked out better
> this time, not firing up the grill but instead having
> low-intensity food potluck style: I was able to
> listen to stimulating conversation as opposed to
> fooling with the cooking.  {8-]

FWIW, I've seen potluck style BBQs work, too -- you
provide hot coals and BBQ spatula, and maybe a stack
of vegie burgers and whole wheat buns, and let people
grill or not, bring potluck food or drinks or dessert,
and just keep an ear out for signs of seared human
flesh.  Definitely don't spend the whole time fooling
with cooking.

There's also the concept of putting all the chairs out
on the patio and letting the conversation congeal
around it; much more easily done once the weather is
better.

> Great schmooze!  When Eli was sharing his latest ideas
> I couldn't help noticing the parallel with the 12 disciples
> and that carpenter turned minister guy, what's his name,
> that dude from Nazareth, darn, its right on the tip
> of my tongue.  Oh well, I'm sure it will come to me.  {8^D

Some people inspire that sort of behavior; I've seen it happen
around Harlan Ellison and David Brin at SF cons, for example.
The configuration is nearly always a ring with the Person Of
Note along the circumference, so everyone can hear.  Points
that The Last Supper definitely a photo-op -- the Apostles
were not arranged for optimal listening, or food passing
either, but none of them wanted the back of his head in the
picture :-) .

> Great seeing you guys again!

For real!  Thanks again for hosting, Spike!

Cheers,
Kennita