[extropy-chat] again with the gun stats

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 00:16:34 UTC 2003

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > Note that these are not [all] deaths. How does this compare with
> some other places
> > of comparable size? Inner London in 2001: 2,765,975, so maybe
> roughly
> > equivalent of US population would be 94,000 armed crimes
>
> A tad more tells me:
>
> http://www.met.police.uk/about/index.htm
>
> < Today, the Metropolitan Police Service employs 29,278 officers,
> 11,368
> police staff, 609 traffic wardens and 865 Police Community Support
> Officers
> (PCSOs), and, since the realignment of police boundaries in April
> 2000, it
> covers an area of 620 square miles and a population of 7.2million.
> (figures updated: August 2003) >

Lets see, London has 1 cop per 133 members of the general population,
and 68 cops per square mile.

In contrast, for example, the city of Concord, NH, has an entire police
department staff of 94, covering a population of 40,000+ and 64 square
miles, or just under 1 per 400 members of the general population, and
1.5 per square mile. Why is Concord's crime rate so much lower than
London's, despite London having three times as many police per 1000
population, and more than 40 times more cops per square mile??????

Note that New Hampshire has the lowest crime rate in the entire US, 2.2
per 100 population. We also have the 3rd most free gun laws in the US,
and one of the highest degrees of gun ownership in the US.

Look up NH crime rates:
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/xl/02tbl05.xls

=====
Mike Lorrey