[extropy-chat] Guns

Greg Burch gregburch at gregburch.net
Mon Dec 1 00:45:08 UTC 2003

For crying out loud, Mike, that's *NOT* what Damien is saying.  He's saying the numbers are so small in absolute terms that expressing increases in terms of percentages from one year to the next is meaningless.  If you must apply a percentage to these statistics, it would seem to be more meaningful to express them in terms of the percentage of the population killed by firearms:

1996: 0.00014%
1997: 0.00038%
1998: 0.00034%
1999: 0.00028%

All of which is statistically almost meaningless -- the numbers are just too small.

GB
http://www.gregburch.net/burchismo.html