[extropy-chat] Gun and crime stats for the USA

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Mon Dec 1 03:48:25 UTC 2003

Don't we have to add the number of deaths from accidental gun deaths to the
number murdered to get a true picture of loss of life?

Quoting http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel013101.shtml

Putting aside the suicides, the Kellermann/Reay figures show 2.39 accidental
or criminal deaths by firearm (in the home) for every justifiable fatal
shooting. Now, 2 to 1 is a lot less dramatic than 43 to 1 earlier reported
in a flawed  earlier analysis, but we still have more unjustifiable gun
deaths than justifiable gun deaths in the home.

Worse yet many of those killed are the very children the parents seek to
protect.

Hand gun locks and smart guns could eliminate this disparity once the public
was legally required to meet this requirement.  But the cost of smart guns
could be cost prohibitive and hand gun locks laws could only be enforced
after the fact or on an inspection basis the way we do with automobiles.

Juries would be extremely reluctant to prosecute parents for manslaughter
who left an unlocked gun where a child could gain access but the publicity
from such trials could further server to educate other gun owners.

I have read that the decrease in murder rates is in a large part due to the
decreased fatalities caused by improvement of medical trauma.  Additional
factors include improved police work in getting repeat violent offenders off
the street sooner and laws like three strikes and your out which put repeat
violent offenders away for good.