[extropy-chat] More on the Glofish: When Fish Fluoresce, Can Teenagers Be Far Behind?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 18:40:02 UTC 2003

--- kevinfreels at hotmail.com wrote:
> Does anyone know if this glow-in-the-dark gene gets passed on to it's
> offspring? I would assume so. Imagine the interest that children will
> suddenly have in genetics when they can breed yellow glo-fish with
> maybe a red glo-fish and get some red, yellow, and orange glo-fish.
> And what of those glowing teenagers? Will they mate and give birth to
> glo-babies?
> This could have serious implications for the military. What if all 18
> yr old men decided to glow in the dark? Night engagements could get
> really risky > :-P

There are both body paints and ingestible pigments that could block the
glo pigment. There are actually federal laws prohibiting intentionally
making yourself medically unfit for military service. Ostensibly it is
an act of sabotage that aids and abets the enemy.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey