[extropy-chat] Boredom in old age

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 21:34:23 UTC 2003

On Wed Dec 03, 2003 01:44 pm Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Very good. This stuff can eat up whole careers. Evil.

Well, the over 65s seem to be the fastest-growing segment of the
Internet population at present. (Probably catching-up with all the
younger age groups already on the Net).
And they have time to play here with no career pressures to tell them
otherwise.

The present necessity to earn a living and build a career is obviously a
strong behavior modifier for younger people. But that (in general)
doesn't apply to retired people with a pension.

When we have advanced life-extension science, can we expect that the
necessity to earn a living will go away? If the nano-Santa, or
Singularity-Santa, provides an income for everyone, how will the human
race spend the following centuries?

The problem I am concerned with is that the very fact of experiencing
life seems to change people over the years. The search for something new
seems to run out of steam after 50 or 60 years for most people.
How many centuries can you play golf for?
Immortals will need different objectives.

BillK