[ok] Re: [extropy-chat] Communication vs transportation

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Dec 4 00:54:19 UTC 2003

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I mean fuel cell... stupid me :)
> >
> > De: "Henrique Moraes Machado"
> <hemm at openlink.com.br>
> > Assunto: Re: [ok] Re: [extropy-chat] Communication
> vs transportation:
> >
> > Well, I'm not thinking only about intercontinental
> flights,
> > but also our day-by-day transport, such as
> automobiles. You
> > can put a hybrid engine in your car, you can use
> stem cells...
>
> No no Henrique, you have typoed into a brillian
> idea:
> stem cells for your car!  You put them in the tank
> and they replicate into any defective part.
>
> Repairing worn or ripped leather seats would be the
> first application, since those started out as cells
> anyway, but then as we get more advanced we could
> have them fix leaks in the radiator, then worn
> bearings,
> then when we get really good, the electronics.

I saw this in a game's backstory, some time ago.
(Carrier Command.  It's an interesting exercise in
being many places at once - literally, thanks to the
drone aircraft and tanks you pilot while operating the
main carrier.)  As they put it, the proper structure
of the carrier and all it's components was encoded
into each part of the ship.  When damage deformed the
components, local machinery tried to set things
right, presumably using (and requesting) feedstock
from the ship's central stores.