[extropy-chat] Re: More on the Glofish: When Fish Fluoresce, Can Teenagers Be Far Behind?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 04:20:59 UTC 2003

--- Christian Weisgerber <naddy at mips.inka.de> wrote:

> > >There are actually federal laws prohibiting intentionally
> > > making yourself medically unfit for military service. Ostensibly
> it is
> > > an act of sabotage that aids and abets the enemy.
> >
> > THAT is interesting! I had no idea. How would this law effect
> people who
> > wanted to upload at an early age? Hmmm. Something to
> ponder.........
>
> Are you serious?  Presumably these laws apply to intentional actions
> directly aimed at avoiding military service, say, chopping off your
> foot after receiving your draft notification or later when in the
> trenches.
>
> They don't apply if you tattoo yourself in day-glo or chop off your
> foot for personal preferences and it later happens to turn out that
> you are unfit for military service due to these body modifications.

Actually, they only really apply if a draft is in effect, something
that I don't think is likely even given todays situation.

However, if one were enacted, a local draft board will interview those
claiming unfitness. Accidents are obviously excused. Intentional
disfigurement is not. Doing so after receiving a draft notice only
makes it easier for them to prosecute you. If you are dumb enough to
tell a draft board you got your genes altered so you glowed in the dark
specifically to make you unfit for service, I'll bet they'll draft you
anyways and the military would stick you in some hellhole peeling
potatos or slopping out latrines for the duration.

As for uploading at an early age, the military would probably find good
military uses for uploaded minds...

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark