[extropy-chat] theobiology

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 00:34:27 UTC 2003

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at earthlink.net> wrote:

> [...]

And Einstein said "God does not play dice with the universe." You can
say that makes him wrong twice... but it does not mean he was not
religious. I think Avant meant Bohm, who was also a believer and
advanced such concepts as the holographic mind. Even Sagan intimated a
belief of some sort in his novel Contact, of course I've never thought
much of Sagan in any event.

Now, Newton also believed in astrology, and many men who advanced
paradigm shattering theories were still very much prisoners of the
superstitions of their time in many ways, including Focault and
Descartes, Galileo and da Vinci. Just because they believed something
does not make it so or lend extra credence to such belief if they did
not demonstrate any supporting theory or objective evidence to explain
their belief.

However, Hawking has given some lectures that indicate that any
universe in which singularities exist are entirely capable of
supporting the existence of any deity under or beyond the sun.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey