[extropy-chat] theobiology

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sat Dec 6 01:42:38 UTC 2003

Avantguardian wrote:

> when you have a very high IQ you are good at seeing patterns
> of information. When you see so much pattern in the universe,
> so little of which can be explained by mere science, it engenders
> faith that there is SOMETHING out there calling the shots.

I don't think its high IQ that engenders that but low psychology.

Intellectually little is gained by positing a something out there calling the
shots and then treating that something as a great unknowable black box
outside of and separate to the many other things that intelligent people
also don't know.

I like Sagan's question on this point best. When considering arguments
of uncaused causes and positioning that the universe had or needed a
creator but that the creator didn't need a creator - "why not save a step"?

I think the low psychology rather than high IQ is the real cause. I think
(and this is speculation I admit) that humans are simply wired with a very
strong propensity to anthropomorphise. Much of what we do and what
matters to homo saps happens in a social and political context and our
brains have developed to reflect that strong preoccupation. Seeing design
and intention and athropomorphising all over the place is easier and offers
the possibility of appeal when circumstances may otherwise seem hopeless.

I do not think the high IQ types were immune because of that from
existential angst. Nor do see any reason why their existential angst should
be resolvable any better in the universe than that of the lowest meanest
brute.

if you are willing to BELIEVE that every tangible bit of matter and
energy in the the universe that you can see with our best telescopes
and detection equipment comprise a mere 5% of what's actually out
there, then why can't you admit there might be room in the 95% of
the universe you can't see for PROVIDENCE?

I can admit it but I am not interested in dwelling on it as the time is wasted
and there are better more useful things for good minds to be communicating
about. I see the turning toward religion and providence as quite natural, as
natural as panic in the face of near certain oblivion and about as helpful.

Regards,
Brett