[extropy-chat] promoting libertarianism effectively

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 7 01:25:07 UTC 2003

--- Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I did not object to the calendars. Didn't say a word about them. It
> was everything else that looked weak to me.
>
> However, I disagree that *anything* done to get ideas about liberty
> out there is good. First impressions have a powerful influence on the
> human mind. A poor first impression only increases the work to be
> done.

I agree entirely. I disagree that an underwear calendar of attractive
women is in any way a poor first impression. What do you want? A
calendar of computer dorks with pocket protectors and birth control
glasses??? Now THAT would go over like a lead balloon, and would
certainly reinforce public perception of libertarians as fringe dorks.

I'm not sure that the transcript accurately reflected the emotive
context of Rachels statements. I believe she was expressing incredulity
that Tucker Carlson would imply that her underwear calendar was in some
way associated with child porn. It is a common attack of statists to
try to link the LP with NAMBLA.

While you and I agree that alcohol is far from 'harmless' from a
physiological standpoint, it is the common opinion of joe sixpack, who
dislikes MADD intensely, that a sixpack after work on friday is just
what the doctor ordered, especially considering that 'moderate'
drinking is supposed to be good for you.

Recall recently that Howard Dean said that the Dems need to appeal to
southern democrats who "have confederate flags on their pickups" in
order to win the presidency. He was exactly right, but that demographic
is getting more educated that its liberties are best protected by
libertarians, a group that Dean is trying hard to appeal to. That group
is the 'petty bourgoisie' that the Ford Foundation tries to undermine,
that group is the angry white male that the dems treated as a threat to
national security for eight years. They are pretty well sick of
government in its entirety, and most of them don't seem much harm in
smoking a spliff occasionally on the weekend.

These sorts of guys are not Klan material generally speaking. The Klan
finds them fertile ground only because nobody else is listening to
them, because everybody else is treating them as 'the exploiter class'.
To most of them, the confederate flag is only a symbol of sticking it
to the man, just as much as a black gloved raised fist is to a black
male.

Rachel Mills, who is running for office in North Carolina, knows
EXACTLY the sort of demographic she needs to win election. These are
the guys who hang swimsuit and pinup calendars in their place of work:
their garage, the cab of their trucks or construction equipment, their
tool room or factory floor. This is the new demographic for the
libertarian party: the working class stiff who is being economically
exiled from their home towns by environmentalist land restrictions and
growth ordinances that raise the cost of housing far above where it
would be in an unfettered market.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark