[extropy-chat] promoting libertarianism effectively

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Sun Dec 7 06:14:24 UTC 2003

From: "MB" <mbb386 at main.nc.us>

> How old is that interview? She sold calendars for 2003 to
> raise money for the 2002 elections in NC. She's selling new
> calendars for 2004 now.
>
> Most of the folk I ran into here who heard of it thought it
> was pretty cool, rather than taking a handout from the
> government to run a campaign or badgering people for
> contributions.

I'm sorry, but I can't see how the issue of whether selling calendars rather
than asking the government for a "handout" is in any way cool.  To be
concerned about a "handout" from the government at this level - it just
seems like such a piffle.  The Iraq war is what's costing us so much (beyond
the cost of the sacrifice of human lives, which are incalculable).
Furthermore, (although it may not be "badgering" per se - just a unilateral
decision hoisted on us), who but the "people" are going to be stuck paying
the  $100 *billion* the war is anticipated to cost?:

http://www.iht.com/articles/90690.html

Believe me, I'm not endorsing Harry Browne (former Libertarian Party
presidential candidate), but found this advice in an article of his written
in 2002 (link to entire article follows):

"Don't invade Iraq. That's probably the only way to motivate Saddam Hussein
to attack us with whatever dangerous weapons he might have. So long as we
leave him alone, he won't commit the suicidal act of provoking the U.S. to
drop nuclear bombs on him":

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=28690

I read Rachel Mills' interview.  A bit on the frothy side, wasn't it?

Olga

http://www.iht.com/articles/90690.html