[extropy-chat] same story, different spins

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Dec 7 12:24:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 10:03:16PM -0800, Spike wrote:

> The tone of the articles is so very different that
> it leads to different conclusions.  The CNN report
> almost makes it sound like they do not know who set
> off the explosion.  Foxnews has already tried and

You do know why Fox News is usually spelled Faux News,
right?

http://dir.salon.com/politics/feature/2000/11/15/ellis/index.html

They've got a bias the size of, excuse me, Texas.

> convicted the mad dogs of the Taliban.  It is no
> wonder there is such deeply divided opinion on the
> coalition action in Afghanistan, it depends on which
> news sources one reads.  Both sources are necessary
> to even start to understand.

Nope, both are still US and Western sources. You can't
expect mainstream media giving you the straight dope,
the best you can hope to do is to average different spins
(including Arab media, of course), and expect this will
be close to reality.