[extropy-chat] Encryption revolution

Brian Alexander Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 02:15:14 UTC 2003

I think you're right. The real reason there's so much funding for quantum
encryption is because whomever gets it first will have "unbreakable"
encryption for a while. It's like nuclear weapons were, you don't want to be
the one without it.

Public key encryption is pretty strong and easy to use, but it has a few
flaws that theoretically a really big gov't computer could use to break it.
A lot of encryption systems that use public key really use it to generate a
120-160bit session key and exchange it with their partner. Although there
are no documented cracks of 120 bit encryption through brute force, it's
theoretically possible.

Harvey pointed out a lot of common vulnerabilities, but most of them can be
avoided by using proper techniques to avoid timing, social engineering, etc.

The big benefit of this is that it allows for a secure key transmission
technique. Proper use of certificates should prevent a man in the middle
exploit.

Nonetheless, crypttech is growing by leaps and bounds as corporations now
need encryption where previously just terrorists and govt's needed it.

BAL