[extropy-chat] Smalley, Drexler and the monster in Lake Michigan

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 8 09:34:37 UTC 2003

Eugen Leitl wrote:

> I personally expect crosslinked polymer as structure bulk, not
> diamond nor graphenes.

Interesting. I think I can see why crosslinked polymers might appeal
given disulphide bonds already feature in routine protein chemistry,
but I see protein design as pretty complex, requiring a solvent, and
very hard to do computationally (I presume you don't just want to stuff
a volume with any old shape). If diamonoid forms could be produced
they would seem to have the advantage of being conceptually easier to
design with. Is your expectation for cross-linked polymer bulk structures
based on  the view that diamondoid would be too difficult or rather that
designer protein chemistry would be relatively easy?

Regards,
Brett