[extropy-chat] FWD [TLCB] Re: French assistance request...

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 16:33:37 UTC 2003

--- "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Terry
>
> How about passing this back to Mike as I don't know his email
> address, and
> my mail will most likely bounce from the other servers.
>
> Mike
>
> Did you check out this www site?
> http://www.cartographic.com/xq/ASP/AreaID.34/qx/nautical_charts.asp
>
> Looks like they might have something, but AT A COST!!

Scale 1:500,000
Producer Military Topographic Directorate of the General Staff
Vintage 1980-1981
Projection Gauss-Kruger
Language Russian
Size 3x2 degrees
Contours 50 meters
Status Available Immediately in raster or paper format
Sheet Count 1
Base price (Paper) $79.00  per sheet

This is a low resolution contour map that does not provide any
hydrometric topography. Saw it already, doesn't suit my needs.

> Some links:  http://www.connectedglobe.com/millennium/ip.html

Found that page a while back. Thanks.

An ENC database is a file containing both geographic and hydrographic
topological data, depth soundings, and other GIS data that conforms to
the International Geophysical S-57 standard. The US has been creating
such charts for all of its territorial waters and posessions, even
uninhabited Navassa Island has been digitally charted. Other major
nations are supposed to be doing the same thing with their own
posessions and waters, which I why I want someone literate in French to
find such a chart on French government servers that is available to the
public.

> Mac
> At 09:08 PM 12/8/2003 -0700, Terry W. Colvin wrote:
> >I am trying to get a good navigational chart of Clipperton Island (a
> >French posession) in the eastern Pacific and would like to find an
> ENC
> >database (Electronic Navigational Chart) that conforms to the
> >international S-57 standard. As it seems that each nation takes care
> of
> >its own navigational chart distribution, I was hoping someone who is
> >French, or French literate, could locate such a chart database for
> me
> >somewhere on the French government internet sites. Finding such a
> file
> >without knowing the lingo is a bit tough.... so much for my three
> years
> >of French in high school...
> >
> >All I've been able to obtain so far on the greater internet is a
> very
> >low resolution scanned image of a 1956 map that has no depth
> soundings
> >or other information.
> >
> >=====
> >Mike Lorrey
>

> --
> “Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress.” Copyright 1992,
> Frank Rice
>

> Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) <
> fortean1 at mindspring.com >
>      Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
> Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html
> >
> Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
>       U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey