[extropy-chat] Encryption revolution

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 9 19:15:52 UTC 2003

Of course I too am sick and tired of people spouting off about things which
they know nothing.

I'm moderately familiar with what crypto to use in which situation and what
provides an acceptible level of risk. Of course nothing is impregnable (even
one-time pads have social engineering vulnerabilities), but there are
acceptible encryption schemes and methods that have never known to be
compromised (like the 128 bit RC4 cipher used in many SSL implementations).

My first point was attempting to relay that as technology power increases,
these theoretical vulnerabilities to brute force cracks will become actual,
and whomever has the next level of encryption will be at an advantage. An
advantage as huge as nuclear weapons were.

Since