[extropy-chat] Doubt and About

Tue Dec 9 22:59:43 UTC 2003

Robin Hanson wrote,
> I agree this is a huge problem, but you say "diluted" as if
> you think the situation was ever any different.  It seems to
> me that this is the way it has always been.

I disagree.  Things are different than they used to be.  University studies
are supported by specific corporations now.  Discoveries are proprietary and
patented instead of peer-reviewed.  More money is spent on lawyers to
prevent flaws from being exposed rather than confirmation studies being
performed.  Corporate fraud has moved into the realms of computer science
and biology more than ever before.  Areas of research that used to be purely
scientific are now overrun with corporate lawyers, politicians, ethics
advisors, and a whole host of non-technical people trying to control
technology that they don't understand.  Doctors used to make medical
decisions, now non-medical professionals in HMOs do.  Scientists used to
direct research, now corporate boards of directors do.  Researchers used to
choose research paths, now venture capitalists do.  The control and
(mis)representation of technology has shifted from the scientists to the
eco-political realm.  This shift is new and has completely changed the
dynamic of how science is done.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,