[extropy-chat] The Hawaii Moon Declaration

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 gpmap at runbox.com
Wed Dec 10 07:00:43 UTC 2003

>From Space.com: A worldwide gathering of lunar experts has called for a
sequence of technological, exploratory and commercial missions culminating
in the establishment a human presence on the Moon.
The Moon is currently the focus of an international program of scientific
investigation. Current missions underway or planned will lead to the future
use of the Moon for science and commercial development, thereby multiplying
opportunities for humanity in space and on Earth. We need the Moon for many
reasons: to use its resources of materials and energy to provide for our
future needs in space and on Earth, to establish a second reservoir of human
culture in the event of a terrestrial catastrophe, and to study and
understand the universe. The next step in human exploration beyond low Earth
orbit logically is to the Moon, our closest celestial neighbor in the Solar
System...
... To encourage and stimulate the peaceful and progressive development of
the Moon, we recommend that the international community of national space
agencies, companies and individuals operate and maintain an exploratory
mission at a pole of the Moon to serve as a catalyst for future human
missions within a decade. Our vision is one of expanding humanity into space
on an endless journey. We believe a human return to the Moon is the next
step into the Solar System and the future of the human race.