[extropy-chat] POL: Gerrymandering and Geometry: A Tiling Problem?

Max More max at maxmore.com
Wed Dec 10 16:35:33 UTC 2003

At 09:08 AM 12/10/2003, Robin wrote:

>The answer is yes, it is quite possible.  Two criticisms are usually
>offered of this approach.
>1) There are lots of different "objective" algorithms possible, and you'd
>move the political battle up a level to pick which one.
>2) "Judgement" is always needed, so we can't just trust a machine.
>I find these arguments unpersuasive.

Robin, why do you find the first criticism unpersuasive?  Is it because you
see one algorithm as clearly the best? Or because all good contenders are
*equally* good and so it doesn't matter which one you pick? Or some other
reason?

I'm especially curious about this because, if this *is* an issue with a
clear technical solution, we should publicize it.

Thanks,

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
max at maxmore.com or more at extropy.org