[extropy-chat] Alternate Universe: Human Spaceflight Without NASA?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 16:41:40 UTC 2003

--- Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <gpmap at runbox.com> wrote:
> No, D. D. Harriman is a fictional character. The article mantions
> some real people (Bezos, one of the founders of PayPal, plus others),
> who want to found and fund private space ventures. I loved Heinlein's
> novel with Harriman (forgot the name) but I think today is a bit
> naive to think that space can be developmed ONLY with private funds
> without government involvement. Synergy is the key.

Well, there actually is a wealthy family named Harriman. DD's scheme of
advertising was where he raised the key money. For example, a well
known cola company offered him a huge amount to have their logo
emblazoned on the moon for everyone to see, but their competitor paid
him twice as much to NOT do it. THAT is salesmanship...

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey