[extropy-chat] Doubt and About

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 11 03:17:55 UTC 2003

> I don't remember where I read this, but maybe it was here:
> There has been some recent speculation that the overall trend
> in global warming is part of a variation in orbital cycles that seem
> repeat every 22,000 years, and 100,000 years...

Most natural systems have multiple cycles.  The sun
"rings" with localized areas oscillating at a frequency
of a few hours.  It has the well-known ~22 years
magnetic pole cycle, usually expressed as the 11 year
cycle of F10.7 (10.7 cm radiation).  Is is so surprising
that the sun has a cycle that lasts perhaps a few thousand
years?  We know that most stars have an observable brightness
variation, even if we do not always know the period.  We have
only a few hundred years of observations, and good accurate
global temperature measurements for only a few decades.

Granted, if we discovered we are on the cooling part of
the cycle, I might get a bit panicky, but being on the
warming side is apparent good news, eh?