[extropy-chat] delta 4

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 16:28:56 UTC 2003

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Check this.  Even *I* will admit this launcher built by
> the other guys is wicked cool.  Now lets see if she flies.  spike
>
> http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0312/10delta4heavy/01.html

"The Delta IV Heavy is the newest and largest expendable launch vehicle
in the United States and is the largest of the Boeing Delta family of
launch vehicles. It is configured with three common booster cores
(CBCs) joined together and can lift up to 13,130 kg (28,950 pounds) to
geosynchronous transfer orbit. When fully stacked with a payload on
board, the vehicle will measure 71.7 meters (235 feet) in height. A
five-meter upper stage sits on top of the core CBC, and has the
capability of carrying either single or multiple payloads."

This is a sweet rocket. I'll notice that the center booster is common
construction to the two side boosters. Are these all solid rockets? If
so, what does this say for the future of liquid propulsion??? I've
thought for a long time that the logic of hydrogen/oxygen or other
liquid fuels was a bit screwy, that they mandated rather huge vehicles
that resulted in insane mass ratios.

This booster competes directly with the space shuttle. That cargo size
is for GEOSYNCH!!!!

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark