[extropy-chat] Re: sole superpower/warfare 2003-2010 comments

J Corbally jcorb at iol.ie
Sat Dec 13 15:14:25 UTC 2003

>After 2010 the situation may become more destabilizing still, since it is
>likely that the first space towers will be constructed in the late 2010s.
>Space towers or vertical railways based on carbon nanotechnology allow for
>very cheap spacelifting costs and very effective space weaponry, both beam
>and linear accelerator weapons. They also allow for use of material from
>the Moon as weapons of mass destruction - rocks or other material thrown
>via linear accelerators - a type of weapon almost very difficult to
>protect oneself against.

Not so sure personally about Space Towers in the late 2010's, but the only
real gripe appears to be a typo/grammo in the last sentence ("almost very
difficult").

As for general comments;

I doubt Russia would reinvolve itself in an arms race.  They don't have
(easy access to) the resources needed to keep up, plus they've effectively
lost a decade or so after the Wall came down.  They still don't have a
strong economy.  Perhaps their best bet is to slip under the U.S.
"Blanket", but of course that will happens on the U.S.'s terms, not theirs.

Europe has some potential to provide a counterforce, but with the EU
nations nervous and bickering on common defence they're unlikely to produce
the requisite level of R&D, nevermind a viable force of any real size.

Oh and  BTW, the EEC no longer exists.  Not since 1992.

James...