[extropy-chat] BIO: Stem Cells and bio-magic

Sun Dec 14 04:26:05 UTC 2003

Brett Paatsch wrote,
> Harvey do you have a web-site? I think this was a good suggestion
> Robert made.

Yep.  I have a few websites:

<HarveyNewstrom.com> is my personal website.  It covers my Nutrition book,
some family pictures and a lot of stuff about me that overlaps my
professional work.

<Newstaff.com> is my professional commercial website.  It describes my
network security company, Newstaff Inc. <Newstaff.info> is my professional
information website.  It describes standard security information.
<Newstaff.net> is my professional customer network.  It is limited to my
paying customers right now. <Newstaff.biz> is my professional e-business
site.  It sells security related stuff.
<Newstaff.org> is my professional organizations site.  It covers
professional organizations that I support.  (It is new and not very well
developed yet.)

> The reason I ask is that I've noticed
> the some of the
> folk that have lots of energy and ideas often do. Anders,
> Robert, Reason, Damien. It seems to be a great way of
> ensuring effort and research is not wasted. I've been trying
> to get one going myself. Actually I have one under
> development - too slowly unfortunately but I've started.

Definitely!  They always seem to be a little behind, because it takes time
to keep them updates.  My current month's activities are not on the websites
yet.  However, once ideas are captured, documented and published, they won't
be lost.  I want to get my websites updated some more, and develop working
groups and feedback channels for my ideas.  I certainly agree that websites
are a good tool to organize thoughts and present them.  They are perfect for
a current snapshot of polished presentations, unlike blogs or discussion
lists.  In fact, I am mulling over a system of slow debates with position
papers on websites for developing ideas, as opposed to the discussion model
of debate.  I also have some ideas for work-group websites, sort of like
Yahoo, but for building consensus data like FAQs, to-do lists, priorities,
agreements and work products as opposed to producing just talk.

I want to update my nutritional information online for reference.  At the
very least, I want to get a food-groups chart online for reference.  (I have
a scheme where basic food groups are protein, fats, carbs, fiber and water.
Then each group has foods divided in a continuum from least healthy to most
healthy.)  I also want basic checklists for security for reference.  And I
am currently revamping my security offerings toward a standards-based
auditing model, which will cause a major overhaul of my business offerings.

> I think its smarter to have lots of websites. My political model of
> optimal efficiency makes me think of armies of one that can swarm as
> the occasion requires it. Pooling information and useful links. Very
> hard to take down. None of the elements constrained by
> bottlenecks. All capable of pooling fire for best effect.

Me too.  I need to expand my futurist areas of my website to link to all the
neat stuff everyone else is publishing.  I had such areas, but they got so
out of date that I had to cut it back to just me for now.  I will expand
them again later.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,