[extropy-chat] POL(L): The Constitution of Europe

scerir scerir at libero.it
Sun Dec 14 08:47:45 UTC 2003

From: "J Corbally"

> PS - Anyone hear about the likelihood of the French passing a law banning
> all religious symbols and garments from schools?

There are problems here in Italy. In schools
there are crucifixs, as Catholic symbols
(Is the crucifix just a Catholic symbol?).
Given that we (Italians) have about 200,000
laws and rules, it is difficult to know if
that is actually allowed by some very old law
(i.e. during Fascism: "God, Country, Family"
was the 'slogan') which is tacitly still in power,
or was later cancelled by a new law. For sure
in our Consitution there is a statement
about "religions" (plural), in general.
Now the problem is that Muslims (I mean Italian
Muslims) asked to remove those crucifixs from
schools. And our courts are already busy with
all that!
http://www.corriere.it/Primo_Piano/Cronache/2003/10_Ottobre/31/crocifisso.sh
tml