[extropy-chat] Affective computing: Candy bars for the soul

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 14:01:15 UTC 2003

On Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:40 am Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> This has nothing to do with AI; it's about programs with incredibly
> realistic graphics and means for recognizing emotions in their
> targets, being able to deploy apparent behaviors that act as
> superstimuli for human emotional responses. Think of chocolate chip
> cookies for emotions.
> Chocolate chip cookies are a more powerful stimulus than
> hunter-gatherer tastebuds ever encounter, combining sugar, fat, and
> salt in greater quantity and purer quality. And likewise there's a
> limit to the sympathy, support, approval, and admiration humans can
> expect from their human mates. As any evolutionary theorist knows, a
> human male is not designed as the human female's ideal boyfriend, nor
> vice versa.

Hmmmm.  Not much response yet from the list.
Perhaps the term 'Affective computing' has obscured the meaning of what
Eliezer is concerned about.

What this means is Sex Dolls for everyone, that are much better than the
real thing. AI not required.

'Stepford Wives' springs to mind. Mind-numbingly beautiful partners with
witty, interesting chat (only when requested), good at cooking and
housekeeping and exactly the amount of sex that you require (not too
much and not too little).

The same applies for women. Handsome, fit partners who can fix things
around the house and still chat about feelings and emotions when
required. ;)

People already treat their IBO toy dog like a real animal and talk to
their robot vacuum cleaner as though it knew what it was doing.

There will be no market at all for a model which makes people stronger
instead of weaker. We can already get a model which points out all your
weaknesses, where you have room for improvement and tells you what you
should be doing or wearing.

When 'Laura' becomes available it will certainly cause a tremendous
upheaval in human relationships.

BillK