[extropy-chat] The end of work,the leisure society,and automation

Colin Magee colinmagee3282 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 14 21:20:45 UTC 2003

               I am interested in the concept of a leisure society and was
wondering if anyone knew of any major thinkers,researchers,or think tanks
exploring this concept and the cultural,economic,psychological,and political
ramifications of this idea.I prepared a short list of items I've read on
this topic and was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of
similar thinkers:
1.)F.M. Esfandiary/F.M.2030--"Upwingers", "Are You A Transhuman?", and
"Telespheres"
2.)James Hughes-- "The Politics of Transhumanism"-in a section titled "Pro
Automation Post Work Utopias" he mentions Andre Gorz -"who has been
promoting a political program for 25 years that embraces automation and the
expansion of the social wage." He also mentions that-"the movement for
universal basic income(Lerner,1994) has been growing in Europe and the
United States"
3.)Hans Moravec-"Robot-Mere Machine to Transcendent Mind"
4.)Robert Theobald-haven't read any of his stuff yet,but I understand he
supports this idea
5.)Marvin Minsky-In a book called "Closer To Truth" he briefly mentions that
when computers acquire commonsense reasoning humans won't have to work
6.)Issac Asimov-"The Tyrannosaurus Prescription" has an essay in it
discussing this
7.)Arthur C.Clarke-"Greetings Carbon Based Bipeds"
8.)Jacque Frescoe-haven't read any of his stuff,but it was suggested to me
in an email from Mark Plus
9.)Grant Fjermedal-"The Tomorrow Makers"-in that book he mentions a book by
James S.Albus called
"People's Capitalism:The Economics of the Robot Revolution"
10.)Buckminster Fuller-"Critical Path"
11.)James Wm.Lewis-"Robotopia-Everything is Free and No One Works"
12.)The Foresight Institute-I believe there was en essay on this site which
discussed the ramifications nanotechnology will have on work,but
unfortunately I misplaced the essay
13.)Eric Drexler-If I recall he discusses this issue in "Engines of
Creation"
14.)Robert Anton Wilson-"The Illuminati Papers"-discusses the idea of the
"RICH Economy" (Rising income through cybernetic homeostasis) developed by
L.Wayne Benner,Timothy Leary,and Robert Anton Wilson
I hope this list wasn't too long! I am particulary interested in the ideas
of F.M.Esfandiary/F.M. 2030 on this issue and was wondering if anybody knew
of any thinkers today influenced by his ideas of leisure.I appreciate
anyone's ideas,feedback,etc.

                      Sincerely,

                      Colin