[extropy-chat] The end of work, the leisure society, and automation

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 16 04:33:07 UTC 2003

> On 12/14/2003, Spike wrote:
> >
> >... The profitability of a worker goes up
> >as that worker spends more time at the office, for a lot of
> >reasons....Its goooood for you, its good for
> >all of us...
>
> This is a confused description of labor economics... Robin Hanson

Robin, clearly I am no professor of economics.  {8-]

This has caused me to ponder on what a job does for
us, and it is far more than just a paycheck.  A good
9 to 5 provides us with a social network, contact
with interesting people, a place to go and focus our
energies, Newtonmas parties once a year, a sense of
accomplishment the rest of the time, which is a
wonderful morale booster, a sense of pride when you
see your company's products perform, a number of good
consequences in addition to just the means to make
the mortgage.  We *need* to work at something.  For
all its disadvantages, an ordinary job provides
these needs.  Dr. Hanson, I really *like* my job.
My company is a really cool place to work.

Of course I fully recognize how pathetic this is,
but that realization does not mean it doesn't
still work that way.  {8-]