[extropy-chat] Paul Allen to be fourth Space Power

Fri Dec 19 15:45:11 UTC 2003

Mike Lorrey wrote,
> This release from Scaled Composites confirms rumors that
> Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen is the financial backer of
> the SpaceShipOne project. If Scaled succeeds in winning the
> x-prize, this will make Paul Allen the fourth economic power
> in the world to gain independent manned space launch
> capability. IMHO this absolves Microsoft of all, or maybe
> just most, of all the evil things it has done...

I hope it crashes less than Windows....  :-)

But seriously, I told my partner about the SpaceShipOne project.  He thought
it sounded exciting.  He said he regretted not being younger and having a
healthy ticker so he could actually become involved with something like
this.  This was the first interest he has shown in anything extropian I have
been interested in.  This is real pioneering in his mind.  He has little
interest in cryonics, immortality, uploading, AIs, etc.  But getting into
space by private citizens (non-government) sounded interesting and plausible
to him.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,