[extropy-chat] when will computers improve?

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 20 00:29:11 UTC 2003

> How complex is that software? If it's simple, there's a good chance that
> will run under Wine (a windows emulator for Linux), or some other
> emulator/Virtual PC.
It's pretty complex. It uses the SQL server thingy to do part of it's job,
some other kinds of microsoft datasources whatever they are, and it just
gets worse from there. It's supposedly designed for Win98SE but it just
kills my system. Once I have my soundcard driver, mouse driver, video card
driver, ZoneAlarm, DSL (EnterNet 300 which sucks all by itself), and Norton
AV running, I get resources available of 68%. Then I load this and I have
about 50%! Then IE6.0 and  Outlook express both have to be running as well
while I am working because I spend my day moving digital paper around. If I
have a credit bureau order in from the website, an appraisal up in Acrobat
reader, copying information into a third browser from the loan software, the
appraisal and the credit bureau, I am now at less than 30%!
What is worse, when I free up those resources by closing the programs, I
don;t get it all back!
Most people in my line of work don;t have the ability to do 20 things at
once on their compter, or they work for a large company that has the
resources not only to have big servers, but to also have custom designed
software. My loan origination software alone was $895. That's more than I
spent building this system!

Robert mentioned Windows 2000. I hadn;t really thought about that one, but I
am checking into it. It sounds like s decent compromise.