[extropy-chat] when will computers improve?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Dec 20 10:45:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 05:58:00PM -0500, Brian Lee wrote:

> I just wanted to mention this as the "Windows has to be rebooted once every
> n units of time" FUD hasn't been applicable since windows2000 (or maybe
> even NT4sp3).

I guess I'm just a power user. The other people in the office don't reboot
nearly as often. Whatever I'm doing, it's reproducible. The patcheritis is
what all current desktop systems have; *BSD as server somewhat less so.

The instability is hardly a Windows problem, however, you have to design
a system properly (e.g., if you have a recent ATI an OpenGL screen blanker
can lock up your Linux kernel, etc).

I'm disgusted with the engineering aspect of all modern consumer-grade
systems, whether hardware or software.