[extropy-chat] I Robot commercial

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Sat Dec 20 23:53:40 UTC 2003

During the trailers preceding LOTR they showed a fake "commercial"
for the NS-5, "the world's first fully automated domestic assistant".
At first I wasn't sure it was fake, until they flashed up "3 Laws
Safe!" as a selling point.  I cracked up at that, although I was the
only person in the audience to laugh.

Anyway, they finally show a URL of www.irobotnow.com, and I realized
that this was early marketing for the I, Robot movie.  I think it was
A.I. which had an elaborate web based marketing campaign, with lots
of fake web sites about robotics, so maybe these guys are adopting a
similar strategy (odd, since A.I. was considered a flop).

As I recall, I, Robot was actually a short story collection mostly about
the various ways robots could go wrong despite being "three laws safe".
So I imagine the writers have considerable license to build whatever
story they want as long as they use the character and company names from
Asimov's collection.

Hal