[extropy-chat] Affective computing: Candy bars for the soul

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 21 19:01:25 UTC 2003

--- Robin Hanson <rhanson at gmu.edu> wrote:

> The demographic transition is the phenomena whereby the birthrate
> falls dramatically when nations get richer.  This phenomena is
> *not* driven primarily by birth control.  It happened before birth
> control, and poor nations now have high birth rates after cheap
> birth control.  Also any of you who have ever been around a woman
> whose biological clock went "bing" will know that we often have
> strong desires for children, not just sex.

The transition is generally a function of women's level of education.
Not literacy, but comprehensive education. A society of women only
literate enough to read the bible or the quran are not educated enough
(or free enough) to appreciate all the choices they should be free to
make, including reproductive choices.
However there is a measurable downturn when enough women understand
that:
a) they are not property
b) god does not make their babies, they make their babies
c) they can choose to not make babies
and the state chooses to back them up.

=====
Mike Lorrey