[extropy-chat] ENOUGH already

Damien Broderick thespike at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 22 00:16:25 UTC 2003

I just obtained Bill McKibben's much praised diatribe ENOUGH from the
library. To my surprise, he quotes THE SPIKE five or six times, always
choosing quite eloquent and non-silly bits, then displays them as if they
are self-refuting. Weird. Speaking of weird, he says of Ettinger and Moravec
and Stock and me and others that we advocate healthy life extension without
understanding how `weird or gross or boring' living forever would be. I've
only just started the book (after glimpses at the index) but look forward
eagerly to learning why allowing women to die painfully in childbirth, the
natural way, isn't even more weird and gross.

(He's amazingly unfair to Max More, whom he cites as boasting that
he's `a stud'--completely untrue, being McKibben's ascription--able to
legpress 710 lbs, when Max's point was precisely to refute the claim that
extropes are all weedy nerdish body-haters.)

Damien Broderick