[extropy-chat] ENOUGH already

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 04:04:27 UTC 2003

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at earthlink.net> wrote:
> McKibben draws upon the wisdom of the extropian list thus:
>
> `On the bulletin boards of the Web, you can find zealous
> "transhumanists"
> not just explaining how the world will evolve past our species, but
> also debating questions like whether it's morally necessary to kill
> "Luddites" who stand in the way of such progress:

snip a quote of what was probably one of my posts.... now I'm pissed he
didn't cite my name....

> I recall pointing out at the time how this would come back to bite
> us on the arse.

And I seem to recall saying, and if I didn't, I'll say it now: Only a
freakin luddite would consider *saving* billions of human lives to be
'violence'... (of course, because those billions of humans would wind
up doing violence to the pretty trees and fuzzy animals...)

I seem to recall that there have been people killed by luddite violence
and not a one of the perps, I am sure, ever debated the issue, or
thought to think of it as an ethical issue worthy of debate. Nobody
here did public protest against these deaths.

And while I've been trying to raise the warnings, people round these
parts have been mighty complacent while the gummint goes about enacting
the luddite agenda and people like McKibben gain popular renown without
answer from our side.

If any sort of violence is not warranted, then what is the excuse for
the complete and total inaction of the people on this list??? There is
a broad range of possible reponses between apathy and violence. Nobody
here has taken a one.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark