[extropy-chat] useful knowledge-base software

Don Dartfield twodeel at jornada.org
Tue Dec 23 01:19:03 UTC 2003

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, rick wrote:

> Also, do any of you know much about the high speed net access being
> offered via cell phone towers? I wonder if this will become my future
> means of access when I finally get my new tablet PC.
> http://www.pcclub.com/edge/ is a link to the AT&T flavor of gprs that I
> use now from T-mobile.

I don't know about "high speed" access, but I have T-Mobile's unlimited
$20-per-month GPRS service with my account (it's $30 if you don't have
regular voice service with them as well), and it's not bad -- anywhere
from 28.8kbps to 115kbps depending on location, conditions, etc.  Feels
about like a regular dial-up connection, at least, and surprisingly the
lag is not bad -- I can SSH or telnet at regular dial-up speeds.

With my Sony Ericsson T610 phone or my Nokia 3650, I can access the
Internet via bluetooth, so my Zaurus SL-C750, Jornada 720, or Sigmarion
III handhelds can access the Internet with just my bluetooth CF card in
the slot, while the phone remains in my pocket.  Extremely handy for
mobile Internet use.