[extropy-chat] A Libertarian experiment?

Don Dartfield twodeel at jornada.org
Wed Dec 24 21:43:19 UTC 2003

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Kevin Freels wrote:

> I don't think it even begins to scrape the surface of reality. The
> majority of these fols are "gamers" which means many are probably kids.
> Also, since it is not "real" many of the people probably go to great
> lengths to make the dull humdrum of everyday life exciting. Nothing can
> really be lost, no real money is made, and noone can actually be hurt.
> It's a sim, and as a sim, it lacks that one important thing...reality.

I agree.  People do things with online characters that they'd never dream
of doing in reality.  Maybe when the VR experience becomes real enough
that it can actually satisfy real physical desires, it will tell us more
about how people might react in similar circumstances in reality, but
right now, well, it's just a game.

I mean, unless having your character eat 30,000 calories of pie actually
makes you feel good at first, then full, then over-full, then like you're
about to burst, it doesn't really matter.  And unless having your
character commit a virtual crime has actual negative consequences that
matter to you, it will just be a fun thrill with no worries attached.  So
it would hardly be surprising if Alphaville were a whirling cesspool of
crime ... but it doesn't tell us much about reality.