[extropy-chat] BIO: Stem Cell Genes

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal at smigrodzki.org
Wed Dec 24 22:30:34 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com>

> Aging (IMO) is ultimately caused by the misrepair of DNA double
> strand breaks.  There are a host of things you can get leading
> up to that -- point mutations (leading to cancer), undigestable
> molecules leading to lipofuscin accumulation, protein glycosylation
> leading to hardening of the arteries, shortening of telomeres leading
> to decreased immune system response and reduced cellular replication
> potential and increased cellular scenescence and probably a host
> of other things.  Aubrey's IBG proposals and SENS work are trying
> to deal with those things that are right up in front of our faces
> and find solutions.  But ultimately when you solve all of those
> problems I think DNA misrepair is going to get you unless we
> have the technology to replace or rewrite the defective genomes.

### I think I shouldn't say it but, whatever: I have some privileged
information about a new technique which could lead to a quantum leap in the
repair of cells in adult mammals (i.e. rejuvenation of adult tissues, in
vivo). Nuff said. This is my promise of a big Christmas present for
everybody in the next few years. Stay tuned.

I'd be surprised if in the next ten years we don't have a treatment (in the
form of a few injections) which will prolong adult human life by 20 to 30
years. In the year 2014 you can look back on this post and either call me
prescient, or sadly remark on my unjustified optimism. Time will tell.

Rafal