[extropy-chat] useful knowledge-base software

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Thu Dec 25 10:00:09 UTC 2003

I find the notion that Outlook deserves to be called a "Personal Information Manager" quite distressing.   It is a barely useable email program, when it doesn't choose to lock up and ignoring that it encrypts all "your" mail in a funny format difficult to do anything else with.  As a task manager it sucks rocks.  There is not even a simple hierachy or an interdependency management.  The Calendar functionality is useable with similar caveats to mail.  Notes?  They would be a lot better if I could attach them anywhere and organize them more deeply.  But all of these functionalities together even when well done are not what I need as a PIM.

I need a tool that will keep track of the cookie crumbs of web pages, docs, searches, images, notes jotted down, mutterings and ravings, wild ideas and tentative integrations that we all do as we swim in this information sea.  The call is always to see/sense more, integrate more, swim more swiftly or winnow more finely.   I need clean interfaces that I can ask real questions of and have the width and breadth of information traveled and half digested, by self and others at will, and on the net at large, used on my/our behalf to find the answer or that which an answer may be approached from.  It is an open framework that I can hang not just new documents and notes and emails etc upon but that I can fill with concepts and association fragments and that can extract (ultimately) concepts and associations and factoids out of any/all input.   Full text search is a bare beginning.  It is a place where I can hang new techniques, facts, ideas as I learn them and have them associate an!
d coalesce in new and sometimes fruitful ways.  It is where I can hang every mental tool and find it when need arises.

That would be a PIM.  Outlook and Chandler are mere toys for some small fragment of what is needed.

- s