[extropy-chat] ENOUGH already

Charlie Stross charlie at antipope.org
Thu Dec 25 14:08:21 UTC 2003

On 25 Dec 2003, at 13:32, Matus wrote:

> Charlie Stross said:
>
>> I'd like to add to that: war seems to me to be about as anti-extropic
>> as you can get. The triumph of brute force over enlightenment,
>> destruction, death and despair on a massive scale. An excuse for the
>> enemies of freedom on every side to chip away at civil rights. The
>> ascendency of dehumanization is the *opposite* of transhumanism.
>
> I would like to disagree with that.  War is neither intrinsically
> extropic nor anti-extropic.  If one of the parties at war is less
> extropic, and it wins, then war is anti-extropic.

Sorry, I think you're wrong.

We're talking on two different levels. You're discussing ideology, I'm
discussing methods.

I'll grant you that it's necessary to address the problem of
anti-extropic ideologies, and in some cases their proponents will not
listen to reason. But ...

>   If the other party is
> more extropic, and it wins, the result is clearly extropic.  Would you
> have been content trying to 'enlighten' Hitler or Hirohito or Stalin
> about why war was wrong?

Hitler, Stalin, et all were *symptoms* of the disease of war as much as
they were driving forces behind it.In Hitler's case, his ascendency was
arguably the ultimate side-effect of the botched forceps delivery of
one of Queen Victoria's grand-children in 1859. (Specifically Kaiser
Wilhelm II, whose physical deformity and conservative, martial
upbringing combined to give him an inferiority complex directed towards
his cousins, and led in no small part to his getting involved in a
minor Balkan fracas and escallating it into a World War. Which in turn
brought the monarchical system to an unexpected and very sudden end in
Europe, leaving in its wake a power vacuum in which totalitarianism
could flourish.) In Stalin's case ... well, if a certain Russian
bomb-thrower in 1881 had missed his target, we'd probably have had no
Russian revolution. (Vladimir Illich Ulianov's elder brother was one of
the student radicals executed by Tsar Alexander III's police during the
paranoid years following the assassination of Alexander II. He idolized
his brother, and later ascribed his own radicalization to what he
perceived as the unfair and brutal execution of the elder sibling. No
Lenln? Then Stalin -- or rather, Joe Dzugashvilli -- stays a small-time
bank-robber and terrorist. Or even stays in the seminary and ends up as
a priest.)

Is this a case of ascribing too much to contingency? Sure. But I feel
it's important to note that these monsters you point the finger at were
in every case the outcome of a chain of violent circumstances. Violence
begets more violence, and in each case (Hitler, Stalin, Hirohito's war
cabinet) the monstrous fruit grows from a relatively small seed.

>  As I have pointed out many times on this list,
> there has never been a society more anti-extropic than just about every
> incarnation of communism on this planet.  More people have been killed
> by communism than all war dead combined,

Blaah blaah blaah.

I suppose "every incarnation of communism on this planet" doesn't
include all those family groups that pool their collective assets and
resources. Or the roughly 75% of the planetary population who live in
dirt-poor peasant communities and are so poor that they're excluded
from capital-mediated economic interactions, dealing instead on the
basis of barter and favours. Right?

The truth is, communism works very well indeed -- at the smallest
scale. And if you insist that it doesn't, I'm going to have to ask you
how much your parents charged you for the use of your cot when you were
a baby.

But I digress ...

> And tell me if a war to free them from that particular oppressive
> murderous regime would not have been extropic.  If any part of extropy
> requires freedoms of any kind, than turning non-free nations free by
> means of war is by definition extropic.

Tell that to the corpses.

Here's a clue: the survivors may (or may not) be better off after a war
of liberation. But the people who die during such a war are cleary
*not* better off; they're dead. No amount of "liberation" can help a
corpse.

> Extropic progress requires freedom of information, ideas, thoughts,
> technology, etc.  In most oppressive states, the internet and computers
> are illegal, non-governmental publications and political disagreement,
> also are, including property and technology in others.

Like, oh, cannabis or heroin or cocaine in the USA?

Here's a thought-experiment for you. Clearly the USA is ruled by an
oppressive regime that refuses to give its citizens the right to
experience certain states of consciousness or to posess certain types
of property. Political disagreement with this platform can (as in the
recent case of Tommy Chong) make you a target for imprisonment on
trumped-up charges.

Does this justify carpet-bombing Washington DC and launching a war of
invasion and subsequent occupation by foreign troops, at a cost of,
say, 150,000 lives (the equivalent per capita adjusted for the US
population of the proportion of the Iraqi population killed during this
years' war) to redress this oppressive situation?

I may be opposed to the war on drugs, but I suspect going to that kind
of length to end it would be a cure worse than the disease.

War as a cure for social evils is almost invariably worse than the
social evils it is proposed as a solution for. I find it notable that
the only really enthusiastic proponents of such wars on the planet
today are barking mad Islamic fundamentalists -- and Americans, who
haven't actually experienced a war on their home territory for nearly a
century and a half!

-- Charlie (who is *NOT* American, and who lives in a country
             that has been bombed within living memory, and who has lived
             through a terrorist insurgency that killed five or six times
             as many people, as a proportion of total population, as
9/11)