[extropy-chat] ENOUGH already

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Fri Dec 26 06:47:28 UTC 2003

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:33:52 -0500
Robin Hanson <rhanson at gmu.edu> wrote:

> I have mixed feelings about the role of science fiction here.  If we were
> sure no one else would look at these topics, we should certainly be glad
> that at least science fiction looked at them.  But I constantly run into
> academics whose reason for ignoring these issues is because "that's science
> fiction."  Now perhaps they would still say that if there were not actual
> science fiction novels about these topics.  But it does seem that the fact
> that some scenario is popular in science fiction is often taken as a reason
> not to consider it in "serious" discussions about the future.

To me the greatest virtue of science fiction is raising the vision and imagination to what the future can be, what dangers we may face and get the minds of the readers focused on more than what is right in front of them.  When the imagination is open then new possibilities can be presented, new questions can be asked.

> Science fiction authors are well aware of the may biases that are
> introduced into their future scenarios due to the need to have an
> entertaining story.  Academia has its own biases, but my guess is that they
> are not as bad.

It is not the purpose of science fiction to write a bias free analysis nor of any fiction.  But science fiction can fire up hearts and minds, especially young ones of whatever age, in ways that academia very seldom acheives.

- samantha