[extropy-chat] ENOUGH already

Charlie Stross charlie at antipope.org
Fri Dec 26 13:20:28 UTC 2003

On 25 Dec 2003, at 16:14, Matus wrote:

> To make this a more directly extropic conversation then, lets attempt
> define extropy.  Charlie asserts that how many people are alive (or
> were
> killed) is a measurement of extropy.

No I don't. What I assert is that maximizing the entropy of the folks
next door is not a positive contribution to extropy. Nor does diverting
huge quantities of time, energy and resources into (a) displays of
territorial primate aggression or (b) killing other people seem
extropic.

Note that these are all framed as negatives. *Refraining* from killing
people isn't extropic behaviour in and of itself; it's just that
*killing* people is anti-extropian, as I see it.

Note also that I'm going to concede the self-defense argument before
you even bring it up, on the grounds that self-defense is usually a
lesser evil than whatever is being defended against. I would like to
note, however, that a gram of prevention is worth a ton of
after-the-fact self-defense.)

> So for an action (I'll drop 'war' out of the discussion and just leave
> it as an action) to be extropic it must result in a net increase in one
> or many of the above criteria.  But what if one part increases, and
> another decreases?  E.g. There are more intelligent people alive, but
> they have no capacity for improvement (strict oppressive statism),

I'm going to dispute the last three words in that extract. A point that
doesn't get a lot of examination, and that we *really* need to think
about, is that dictatorships and revolutionary governments seem to have
a half-life of a decade or so, whereas democracies seem to endure for a
much longer time.

Think I'm joking? Think again. The USSR -- with a solid ideological
base _and_ an external threat, collapsed from inside in just 73 years.
Its eastern European satellites didn't even last that long, falling
apart in under 45 years. China is still nominally communist but today
bears very little resemblance to the China of 1977. Spain under the
butcher Franco lasted 38 years, while Portugal, Greece, and Serbia
under Milosevic didn't make it to 20. Iran, at 24 years, seems to be in
the grip of an internal power struggle between a democratic opposition
and the ageing totalitarian thugs who seized power after the Shah.
Myanmar under the SLORC is showing signs of unstability at the 20-year
mark. Argentina (1976?-82) and Chile (1974-1987?) barely made it past
their decade, and a lot of tyrannies break down before then.

The point I'd like to make is that even a stable dictatorship -- one
which defeats its external and internal enemies and institutes a reign
of repression -- finds it very difficult to cling on to power past the
working life of the guy at the top. Successful dictatorships run by a
party or cadre may last longer, but still tend to crumble as the
youngest of the leading cadre grow elderly. The Soviet Union tried to
establish an ideology-based system as solid as the Catholic Church ...
and barely survived for an extra generation.

The evidence seems to support a hypothesis: governments stabilized by
force (dictatorships) do not survive once the source of force (the will
of the creators of the system) is withdrawn, and are therefore
restricted by current human lifespans.

In contrast, democracies seem to be self-stabilizing and don't show the
same degree of instability within the same time period as a human life.
(Opponents who, in a dictatorship, would be definitively excluded from
power can, in a democracy, aspire to join in the game and wait for a
change in public opinion to bring them to power. Thus, opposition to
the entire system of government is deprived of people who would
potentially be its best activists.)

Whew. Long digression.

>  or
> conversely, what if there are fewer intelligent people around, but they
> had a much greater capacity for improvement, is that extropic?

Maybe, but it's also elitist -- and potentially dangerous. ("All those
with an IQ of less than 180, into the computronium rendering hoppers!")

-- Charlie