[extropy-chat] MitoKor- deferral of public offering

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal at smigrodzki.org
Sat Dec 27 02:29:11 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com>
To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] MitoKor- deferral of public offering

> With regard to MitoKor.  They made a presentation at the AGE
> meeting in June 2002.  The evidence they presented
> suggested that estrogen (or its analogues) were effective
> antioxidants/free radical sinks within the mitochondria.
>
> This of course explains why in general women live longer
> than men.  Of course from a therapy standpoint the question
> becomes why should one pay $XXX for an estrogen related
> drug vs. $YYY (<< $XXX) for estrogen itself.
>
> The MitoKor executives were very up-front in their presentations
> that even though the felt they had compounds that were more
> effective than estrogen they felt the investment/drug approval
> climate made it pointless to attempt to pursue them.

### My boss, the founder of MitoKor, says he will buy an airplane for
himself if they finally go public, but he doesn't have much hope for it.
MitoKor was ready for IPO twice already, but they keep deferring. Well,
small surprise, after the pseudogene debacle, the biotech stock crash, and
being run by chemists rather than mito researchers.

Rafal