[extropy-chat] The human OS [was: when will computers improve?]

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Tue Dec 30 06:01:24 UTC 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Jef Allbright wrote:

> Our sense of Self is an illusion, arising out of the interaction of multiple
> processes, some competing, others cooperating, interacting with each other
> and the environment in a way that blurs the borders of identity.

Hmmm... I have no problem with my "identity" it is a collection of
knowledge, memories of historical experiences and behavior patterns that
have generally worked.  Sure its a mix of various priorities and agendas
but it remains reasonably stable over time.  The exceptions I would cite
involve what are generally recognized as mental illnesses, e.g.
schizophrenia.

> There is no Master Control Program in the mind.

You have a hard time convincing me of that if there is a program
that can (and in a not insignificant fraction of the population does)
terminate all of the other programs from time to time.

Robert